Last weekend I went to brunch at a girlfriend’s house, one of the delicious dishes she prepared for the occasion was a berry baked oatmeal. The rest of the day it was all I could think about. This dish took the humble rolled oat to an entirely new level of scrumptiousness! I could not leave without the recipe.
It looks like dessert and tastes like dessert but hallelujah it is healthy enough to eat for breakfast! Creamy oats baked in a mixture of honey, rice milk and eggs spiked with tart raspberries and crunchy walnuts. Warm, hearty and just sweet enough, this is my kind of breakfast. Whip it up for the ladies at your next brunch, or make it for yourself on Sunday and warm up the leftovers for breakfast during the week. If it lasts that long!
This is a very adaptable recipe so feel free to mix it up, swap the raspberries for bananas, add some peanut butter, throw in some dried fruit, whatever takes your fancy.
- 2 cups oats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp Himalayan sea salt
- ⅓ cup cococnut sugar
- 2 cups rice milk (or other non dairy milk)
- 2 eggs
- ½ tbsp vanilla essence
- 2 tbsps honey
- 2 cups raspberries (fresh or frozen)
- ¼ cup walnuts
Passionfruit yogurt (this is a must if you can find a nice natural brand)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together the oats, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and coconut sugar. Set aside.
- In a seperate bowl whisk together the milk, eggs, vanilla and honey
- Arrange berries at the bottom of a baking dish, evenly top with dry oat mixture. Pour over the wet mixture and add sprinkle walnuts over the top.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the oats have soaked up all the liquid.
- Serve warm with passion fruit yogurt (seriously delicious paired together!)
Recipe adapted from Apple of My Eye